|Battle of Roan's Tan Yard|
|Part of the American Civil War|
|22x20px United States (Union)||22x20px CSA (Confederacy)|
|W.M.G. Torrence||John A. Poindexter|
|Detachments from the 1st and 2nd Missouri Cavalry, 4th Ohio Cavalry, and 1st Iowa Cavalry||unknown|
|Casualties and losses|
|6 killed, 19 wounded||40 killed, 80 wounded, 28 captured|
Rumors and sightings of a Confederate force in the Howard County area had circulated for more than a week, but the Union troops could not locate them. On January 7, 1862, information came to hand that Col. John A. Poindexter and his force of 800 Confederate recruits were camped on Silver Creek. Detachments from various Union units came together and headed towards the Confederate camp which was about 14 miles northwest of Fayette. After finding the camp despite heavy fog, the Federal troops attacked in the late afternoon, routing the enemy in only 40 minutes and sending those that were not killed, wounded, or captured fleeing for safety. Two companies of Federal cavalry were ordered to cut off the Confederates' retreat, but darkness and heavy fog, together with thick underbrush, rendered it impossible.
Afterwards, the Union force destroyed the camp to prevent its further use. The Confederates could no longer use their Randolph County base for recruiting and raiding.
Union (450 men)
- 4 companies, 1st Missouri Cavalry (Maj. James M. Hubbard)
- 3 companies, 2nd Missouri Cavalry aka "Merrill's Horse" (Maj. Charles B. Hunt)
- 1st Iowa Cavalry (Maj. W. G. M. Torrence)
- 4th Ohio Independent Cavalry Company (Capt. John S. Foster)
Confederate (800 men)
- 5th Regiment, 3rd Division Missouri State Guard (Col. John A. Poindexter)
- Union — 6 killed, 19 wounded.
- Confederate — 40 killed, 80 wounded, 28 captured.
- U.S. National Park Service Roan's Tan Yard Battle Summary
- U.S. War Dept., The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume VIII, Chapter XVIII, pg. 49, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1880–1901.
|35px||This article about a battle of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|30px||This Missouri-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|